Districe at a Glance / Climate & Rainfall / Cities and Towns / Location

 

Dictrict at a Glance

Climate, Rainfall & Soil Cities and Towns Location

 

 

District at a Glance

 

 

District at a Glance

       

Sr. No.

Particulars

Amloh

Sub-division

Bassi Pathana

Sub-division

Khamano

Sub-division

Fatehgarh Sahib

Sub-division

Total
1. No. of villages 103 100 76 175 454

2.

Area (Hect.)

         
a) Geographical Area 26120 20657 19593 48409 114779
b) Net Cultivated Area 23167 18124 17885 42852 102028
c) Banjar 171 6 10 54 241
d) Forest 423 620 475 504 2022

 

Cities and Blocks

Cities and Blocks

 

Mandi Gobindgarh Sirhind Bassi Pathana
Amloh Khera

 

Mandi Gobindgarh

Mandi Gobindgarh

The local tradition which was authenticated by the S.G.P.C. holds that the sixth Sikh Guru Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib stayed for two months during 1646, at the bank of a big sarovar known as ‘ Barhi Dhab’. He was accompanied by his followers and warriors. A skirmish occured between Guru Sahib`s men and a contingent of the Mughal forces. In the clash, the weapons of Guru Sahib’s men got damaged. His men pleaded before Guru Sahib that not even a tiny tissue of steel was available in the area for the repair of their weapons, how could they fight further.

 

Guru sahib smilingly said “ Some day this place will be a big steel producing centre in the country, where you say, no steel is available for repair of your weapons”.A magnificent Gurdwara in the holy memory of the Guru Hargobind Sahib is situated near the railway station. The place known as ‘ Barhi Dhab’ then became known as Gobindgarh after the name of Guru Hargobind ji. The sagacious Maharaja Hira Singh of Nabha in whose territory Gobindgarh then lay, sowed the seeds of industry by starting some industrial units in this town in 1902.

This lead was followed by Maharaja Partap Singh who took some special measures for the industrial development of the town. Accordingly, Gobindgarh was declared a free trade zone for steel in 1928. Thereafter it began to make tremendous progress in steel business. Land was made available to local blacksmiths at nominal rates in early 1940. This move led to establishment of a number of workshops on both sides of the G.T.Road at Gobindgarh. This was the nascent stage of development of the ‘ steel town’.

 
This town is a Sub-Tehsil of Distt. Fatehgarh Sahib, which is also known as the Steel Town of India and is having a large number of steel rolling mills. Nearly 200 rolling mills are serving 25% of the secondary steel market of the country. There are about 48 Induction Furnaces producing raw material for the rolling mills. There are about 12 forging units catering to the needs of steel rolling mills, sugar and paper industry. There are 40 foundry units, 90 scrap cutting units and 12 oxygen plants catering the local requirements of the industry. Besides, there are another 67 units associated with the main industry.Today, Gobindgarh is home to many educational and vocationals institutions run by philanthropists and big industrial houses of the township.

 

Sirhind

Sirhind  

There are different views about the origin and development of Sirhind. Its first reference appears in the `PRASHARTANTARA' which is mainly a compilation of prophecies. `VARAHA MIHIRA' has made a reference to Sirhind in his book `BRIHAT SAMHITA' which is based on `prashartantara'. Sirhind was known as `SATUDAR DESH' and was inhabbited by Sairindhas Aryans. In latter period it became an important border town of Pal Kindgdom.

According to another manuscript, Sirhind was the Eastern Frontier of Kingdom of Brahmin dynasty of Kabul. In the Eleventh Century, Mehmood of Ghazni invaded India and the hold of Hindu Kings ended in 1193 A.D. Then Sultan Aram Shah ruled here. Nasir-ud-din Qubacha conquered Sirhind in 1210 A.D. But Illutmish won back this territory. Sher Khan, nephew of Balban, built a fort here. After Ibrahim Lodhi's defeat in battle of Panipat in 1526 A.D., the town came under Mughal Empire. It is a Block headquarter comprising of 108 villages (Revenue Estates). The total area of the Block is 30,786 hectares. The town of Sirhind is famous for bus/truck body building as well as for the manufacturing of centrifugal/submersible pumps . It has 10 ancillary units rubber manufacturing goods machinery and parts.There are 17 units manufacturing centrifugal pumps.There are 70 units fabricating truck/bus bodies. There are some units of mining machinery and toughned glass as well. Some products manufactured by these units are import substitutes.

Aurangzeb appointed Wazir Khan as the faujdar of Sirhind. Wazir Khan taking cue from the policy of religious fanaticism unleashed by Aurangzeb started persecuting non-muslim population of Sirhind.

Under the Tuglaq Sultans Sirhind gained a far more prominent position in political and administrative affairs of the Sultanate and it continued to increase in wealth and importance until the time of Akbar when the rival cities of Sunam and Samana were both made subordinate to it and included in Sirhind Sarkar of the subah of Delhi. Its prosperity was further increased by gradual spread of desert, which at last forced the Mughal Emperor to abandon the old road by Hansi and Sunam, thus link via Sirhind and Ambala was adopted as permanent line to further north. During Akbar’s times, Sirhind was a great centre of education. There were 360 Mosques and in those days, a school was generally attached to a mosque. After Akbar, Sirhind continued to develop under Jahangir and Shah Jahan, who visited this place many times being attracted by its magnificent gardens. Shah Jahan laid the foundation of a few more buildings.

Paddy and wheat are the main crops of the block. Irrigation is done mainly through tubewells which is supplemented by the canal water. A 10 MW power plant, which runs on Paddy Straw has been established at village Jalkheri in this block.

All villages of the block are distributed among 9 branches of commercial banks and two branches of Malwa Gramin Bank. Apart from this, 5 branches of Fatehgarh Sahib Central Coop. Bank Ltd. and 1 Primary Agricultural Development Bank at Sirhind are also catering to the needs of the people.

 

Bassi Pathana

Bassi Pathana

Bassi Pathana is a small town located between Sirhind and Morinda .It is believed that this town was founded in1540 by an Afghan Malik Khan, who settled here during the reign of Sher Shah Suri. After the sack of Sirhind by the Sikhs in 1763, it was occupied by Sardar Diwan Singh of the Dallewal Misl. Later on ,it became the head quarters of the Amargarh Nizamat of the Patiala State and on the formation of PEPSU ,it was amalgamated with Patiala and Bassi became the headquarters of the Fatehgarh Sahib Subdivision. But with the construction of District Administrative Complex at Fatehgarh Sahib, it is now a subdivisional/block head quarter.

This town is also a Block as well as Tehsil Headquarter having a cluster of 86 villages (Revenue Estates) covering an area of 19,907 hectares. Irrigation facilities are adequate in the block. Paddy and wheat are the main crops. Bassi Pathana town is famous for the manufacturing sewing machine parts and mining machinery.  

A 220 KW Power station has been established at Fatehgarh Sahib which will help in the industrialisation of the block

All the villages of the block are allocated among 7 branches of commercial banks. Apart from this, there are 2 branches of Fatehgarh Sahib Central Coop. Bank Ltd. and one branch of Primary Agricultural Development Bank at Bassi Pathana which are also serving the people of the block.

 

Amloh

Amloh

Amloh town was originally founded by Faiz Baksh, the Governor of Sirhind. After the fall of Sirhind in 1763,Amloh was annexed by Raja Hamir Singh, the ruler of Nabha State. It was developed by the erst while ruler of Nabha State. The fort in the town was got constructed by Raja Hira Singh of Nabha. It was given the status of Nizamat ( District) Headquarters. After the creation of District Fatehgarh Sahib in 1992, Amloh was given the status of Sub Divisional headquarters. Some part of the old building of the fort is now occupied by government offices.

 

However, the major portion of the fort is in a dilapidated condition. Amloh town is also a Block as well as Tehsil Headquarter. This block consists of 100 ( Revenue Estates) villages. The total area of the block is 26,893 hectares. Paddy and wheat are the main crops of the block. A sugar mill viz. Nahar Sugar & Allied Industries Ltd. has started functioning at village Khumna near Amloh on Khanna - Amloh road, due to which the cropping pattern of the block has changed. The block has adequate irrigation facilities.

All the villages of the block have been allotted among 13 branches of commercial banks under Service Area Approach. Besides, 11 branches of commercial banks are functioning at Mandi Gobindgarh. The block has 5 branches of Fatehgarh Sahib Central Coop. Bank Ltd. and 1 branch of Primary Agricultural Land Development Bank at Amloh.

 

Khamano

Khamano

Khamano town is also Block as well as Tehsil headquarter. This block consists of 76 villages. Being the smallest block of the district, it has an area of 19,593 hectares. This block is devoid of any major industry and is purely rural based. Paddy and wheat are the main crops of the block which has adequate irrigation facilities. The famous Archaeological Works of heritage of India are located at village Sanghol, which is a part of this block. All the villages of the block have been allocated to 8 branches of Commercial bank under service area approach, 7 branches of Fatehgarh Sahib Central Coop. Bank Ltd. and 1 branch of Primary Agriculture Land Development Bank are also functioning in the block.

Khamanon Sub-Division came into being on 13-4-1992, when District Fatehgarh Sahib was created. In order to constitute Khamanon Sub Division, 6 villages were taken from Morinda Sub-Tehsil of Ropar District, 13 villages were taken from Chamkaur Sahib area of Ropar District, 26 villages from Khanna Sub-Division of Ludhiana District and 5 villages were taken from Kum Kalan area. Thus, the Sub-Division now constitutes 76 villages including 3 bechirag mauzas. Three villages viz Khamanon Kalan, Khamanon Khurd and Khamanon Kamli were clubbed to form a Nagar Panchayat.

After defeating Zain Khan, the Subedar of Sirhind in 1763, the Sikh misls finally took control of Sirhind, the fort of Hayatpur (where the present village Khamanon Khurd is situated) and adjoining 62 villages were handed over to Dallewalia misl. It is worth mentioning here that these villages had been given in dowry to Begum Khemo, the niece of the Subedar of Sirhind, when she married Bashir Mohammad Khan of Bassi Gujran. The sikhs captured Bashir Mohammad Khan and imprisoned him in the fort of Hayatpur. Five sikh chieftains led by Sardar Kaur Singh were entrusted to adjudicate the fate of Begum Khemo and her consort. This difficult decision had to be taken in the context of muslim tyranny perpetuated against the sikhs and in the light of chivalrous Sikh tradition of not harming women. The Sardars averred that besides sparing the life of her husband one more wish of the Begum would be granted. She expressed her desire to live in Behlolpur. She, alongwith her family, were respectfully escorted to Behlolpur by a posse of sikh horsemen. The Begum was extremely beholden to the sikhs and it is believed that the town now known as Khamanon was named so after Begum Khemo. Another point of view is that, being the wife of a Khan, she was popularly known as Khano and hence the name Khamanon.

 

 

Khera

Khera

Khera is a Block Headquarter. This block has been recently created as per the notification of Punjab Govt. and comprises 84 (Revenue Estates) villages. This is purely a rural block. The area of the block is 21,040 hectares. Paddy and Wheat are main crops of the block. Ground-water level is low in some parts of the block in Badali Ala Singh & Chuni Kalan areas.

The villages of the block are allocated among 4 branches of commercial banks and 3 branches of Malwa Gramin Bank. Apart from this, 4 branches of Fatehgarh Sahib Central Coop. Bank Ltd. are also serving the people of the block.

The block is likely to witness hi-tech advancement in agriculture and industry due to its proximity to Chandigarh.

 

Climate, Rainfall and Soil

Climate, Rainfall and Soil

The soil of the district is mainly alluvial type but it also has loam to heavy loam and sandy loam soils in certain parts of the district. The climate of the district is extreme being very hot in summer and cold in winter. The temperature ranges from 45 degree C (in May/June) to 4 degree C in December/January. It has a sub-tropical continental monsoon climate. The rainfall in the district is mostly satisfactory.

The economy of the district mainly depends upon agriculture. The district is well irrigated with tube wells and canal irrigation being the main sources of irrigation. Wheat and Rice are the main crops sown in the district.

 

 

Location

Location

It is bounded by Ludhiana and Ropar in the North, Patiala in the South, parts of Ropar and Patiala in the East and parts of Ludhiana and Sangrur in the West. It is situated between 30 degree-38' North 16 degree-27' East and is 50 Kms. towards the west of Chandigarh , the capital of Punjab.

 

 
 
This site is best viewed in 800x600 resolution. Use IE 4.5 or above. Content of the site maintained by District Administration Fatehgarh Sahib. Site designed and developed by NIC-Punjab,